Sunday 17 February 2013

On My Design Wall



I recently made a bunch of half square triangles with the idea of making one or two small cushions to go with my large needlepoint cushion under construction. (Actually it's been 'under construction' since about 1979 when I was living in Greece and saw this design - or something like it - on a tiled wall. I loved it then and still think it's striking.


The needlepoint has been packed away - coming out for an airing from time to time - mainly because I didn't know what to do with it.)

I've quilted some cosy flannel for the back but need to think about the construction more carefully and shop for some chunky cording or make some piping to both cover the seams and add a more professional finish. (Any thoughts or suggestions on how to continue would be most welcome, especially from anyone with expertise in this area, like my sister........hint - I don't think I can pack it away for another thirty years.)


I was inspired to jump in and make a batch after browsing a couple of blogs that I check regularly. Both Jeni (@In Color Order) and Katie (@Sew Katie Did) offer tutorials on how to make them and share the inviting possibilities for layouts that they're experimenting with or quilts they've already made.

Katie is also co-author of this book - which you might have seen around. If not, may I suggest you take a look...


And Jeni has her first range of fabric designs released through 'Art Gallery Fabrics' and her blog offers some great little tutorials and tips on choosing fabrics for projects and fabric storage. (Especially good for anyone new to quilting.)

A couple of ideas I'm tossing around include.........




More play required on this one.
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment