Tuesday 31 December 2013

New Toy

I was in a local store looking for a gadget for chopping onions and chillis when I found this instead.......

Years ago I had my Mother's preserving kit but had to let it go due to space constraints as well as work and a young family at the time. From time to time I've made jams and pickles and frozen summer fruits for the dull time of year when choice is limited but now with more time on my hands and surplus produce from the garden (and a new kitchen in planning) it seems like time to get back to it in earnest.......



The kit is for the 'waterbath' method of preserving. It's not suitable for all kinds of produce - it apparently depends on acidity....(more research required here)......

With cucumbers popping out everywhere, 'Bread and Butter pickles' seemed a logical starting point - and here are the results. (They look like they are supposed to look - the proof will be in the eating in a few weeks time....)



(Actually I thought I would fill 3 jars but they squished down a little more than I expected.)

I have also discovered a link to a website that sells new lids for your existing jars which is a win/win for preserving seasonal bounty, reusing perfectly good jars and ensuring the produce is safe to keep longer term as well as a number of environmental considerations. (There is also a wealth of information there on making cheese and yoghurt, preserving all kinds of food and recipes.)

I have the jars so I'm off to order some lids......

Sue xxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment